Thursday, July 17, 2014

Paddington Bear



I first met Paddington at Hamley's toy store in London, England the summer of 2011.  It looked like he was ready for another adventure, so I let him hitch a ride home with me to Mt. Sterling, Illinois.  There he helped me with my garden in the cool mornings and read under a shady pecan tree in the steamy afternoons.  When school rolled around, he helped me put out books and toys, put up bulletin boards and get ready for the arrival of my new students in kindergarten.  



In the fall he went on some school visits with me in 
Boston, Massachusetts.  We took the boat taxi across the harbor to visit the big city and Paddington liked seeing all the different 
kinds of transportation.


Paddington started going home with with students throughout the years since and the students have written about and put pictures of their adventures together in his journal he carries with him.


During the summer of 2012 Paddington visited Paris, France with me and had his picture taken in front of the Eiffel Tower.  



This summer we visited Italy. Paddington visited St. Peter's Square in Rome and saw Pope Francis.  He climbed to the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa and rode the funicular railway in Switzerland to get a better look at the Matterhorn peak. 


I look forward to hearing about all the adventures 
you will take with Paddington this year.  

If you would like to meet Paddington Bear, watch this first episode of the 1975 TV series based on Michael Bond's book, A Bear Called Paddington.  


No comments:

Post a Comment